Thursday, August 16, 2012

Why am I the Lucky One?


(I made the mistake of going to bed whining about things that in perspective were really dumb and trivial. And this was my dream.)

Why am I the Lucky One?


I dreamed I walked a road with another girl. She wore black. I wore green.
We talked and laughed until our road forked.
I got into my car and drove 12 hours to college,
She was shoved into a train and driven 96 hours to a camp,
I fumed and fussed at bad drivers and broken traffic lights,
She was licking her cracked lips and holding a broken arm, 
I told my Dad I was too tired to stay up and tell him about my trip,
She was told she would never see her Dad again.
I awoke the next morning to grumpily snooze a loud alarm,
She was woken by a rifle shot and an angry curse,
I opened my cupboard and couldn’t decide between cereals,
She was marched down a line to get a boiled turnip,
I worried about an unwritten essay and 70 pages of reading,
She was given a shovel to dig graves,
I complained about my boss and a few extra hours to work,  
She was afraid to slow down or her boss would shoot her brother,
At the day’s end,
I went home, wondering if my roommate's boyfriend would be over again,
She was marched to her bed, wondering if her roommate was alive,
I wondered why the radio station wouldn’t play anything good,
She was wishing she could hear music again,
I worry about impressing my date this weekend,
She was wishing the boy she liked were alive, 
I wished I weren’t out of eggs to make what I wanted,
She was handed one choice of old bread,
I forced my tired eyes to go read scriptures with a full light,
She was straining in the dark to read the one page of print she owned,
I went to bed with a roommate to wish good dreams,
She was holding a child coughing blood and praying he wouldn’t wake,
The next morning,
I put on my warm coat and grumbled about slogging in snow to school,
She was clutching at her thin shirt and watched her breath freeze,
I felt beaten by my professors’ criticism,
She was beaten to blood by her guards,
I closed my eyes and wished I weren’t at school,
She closed her eyes and wished she were in heaven.
I got into my shower and felt warm water, 
She was put into a shower and felt warm gas.
I left my shower.
She was carried from hers.
Two girls, one in black, one in green.
Both born with hopes and dreams.  
Both born under stars, hers a yellow pinned to her chest, mine on a flag, 
I am not any better than her - why am I the lucky one? 

1 comment:

  1. Three things:
    First, this is beautiful. You are a gifted writer.
    Second, sometimes it is important to remember that we really ought not complain, that our lot is always to face the future with faith, regardless of the trial.
    And third, you are not any better than her, but nor is she any better than you. Physical struggles aren't necessarily any harder than spiritual, mental, or emotional ones- just different. Don't beat yourself up for not getting beat up. Your hopes and dreams and fears and frustrations are just as real as hers. It's just what you do about them that matters.

    I love you, and you handle life magnificently. You are perfectly imperfect, and I am blessed to see how you grow every day.

    ReplyDelete